Monday, March 30, 2009

The Heart of Mission


If individuals were at the heart of God's purposes, then it would be quite natural to put the individual at the heart of mission, and many people do just that. But at the heart of Gods plan for salvation are a family and a nation. And so the church should be at the heart of mission.
- from "Total Church a radical reshaping around gospel and community" by Tim Chester and Steve Timmis.

This past Sunday a couple in our church shared a testimony of what God is doing in their family. It was encouraging and energizing stuff. Something that they said has stayed with me. After relating the story of what they came through and the miracle of biblical principles in action, they said. This is not a direct quote so if I am not 100% accurate I believe that I will capture the essence. Feel free to correct me if I have captured it wrongly. They said, "It is so important to be involved in a church and to attend regularly. The messages, and prophetic instruction that are received on Sundays enlighten us with Gods vision of our future."
This is sooooo true in my life. Also it harmonizes so perfectly with all that I have been learning about being a mission minded disciple of Christ. Think of the multitudes of people who are darkened in their understanding. Think of the miracle of church involvement that they are missing out on. Think of the unity and fellowship with Christ, that they are bankrupt of. It is heartbreaking.
I really need to be an active missionary in the culture where I am planted. The lost are so very needy. They are the preeminent orphans. They are my calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment